Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Raptor

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 502
2236
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Chris' training journal
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:41 am »
On the leg press there's also the issue of letting one foot, on the toe, to hold the entire leg press, while I take the other foot off to put the entire foot on the plate so I can then lower the leg press "plate" back (to re-rack it).

So at one point I have to hold it with just one foot, on the toe, which is dangerous. With a barbell I can just step back off the plate that I'm doing the calf raises off and re-rack it.

2237
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Chris' training journal
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »
I don't know... my leg press has some "rail" in the middle that just makes you put your legs very wide and weird... and it affects ROM.

2238
Absolutely... I think at this point is just little things that he can do that could make a big difference, even at his current level of strength. He's basically right there.

2239
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Chris' training journal
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:38:29 am »
I don't like either the Smith machine nor the leg press.

In the Smith machine I have to "roll" the bar back on the pins, and that roll must occur by me bending my back. I've had TERRIBLE lower back pain from that TWO times. So no, thanks.

In the leg press there's a huge risk of the "plate" of the leg press against which you push against will slip off your toes, since that's all that is in contact with it, and then destroy you. It doesn't feel safe at all. Plus the ROM is very very low on the leg press.

So my only option is with a free barbell, but it's hard to keep balance.

2240
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Chris' training journal
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:10 pm »
590 lbs? Insane.

2241
It actually looks good... I have two observations as well:

1) Do you always have this tendency to walk/stand around in a bent knee position? It looks to me from the way you walk around, stand etc that you prefer to take away some tension from your hamstrings/your hamstrings are tight/you prefer to walk around with some tension in your quads? Is any of this true?

2) If you pause at the moment of hip extension, especially with the ball in your hand, you don't go "all the way through" with it. You're better without the ball but looking at it it feels like there isn't a lot of hip HYPERextension ROM going on. I have the same problem.

So what does that mean? It means either the glutes don't fire properly in that particular movement and/or the hip flexors are tight. Have you ever been consistent doing hip thrusts and then stretching the hip flexors?

I think for both you and me, if we solve this hip hyperextension problem, because it's so glaring and obvious, it could make a ton of difference even at our current levels of strength. It messes MORE up than just the power output - it messes positioning, coordination, what the arms do when the legs do something etc etc etc. It's more than just power leakage.

2242
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: THE DREAM JOURNAL
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:01:29 pm »
Awesome ^^^

2243
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: chasing athleticism
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:13:23 pm »
As for what Today is saying, I totally agree. It's like driving a car. First you need to learn to drive a car. A slow car is good for that. It's better (in a way) to start weak and start getting coordinated. If you're strong and you're not coordinated and you start applying a lot of power in an uncoordinated movement you can more easily get injured.

Then as you learned to drive this slow car you can start working on upgrading the engine (strength train). And then once you have this faster engine you can start working on trying to drive the car faster, as the new engine allows that to happen.

2245
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: chasing athleticism
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:10 pm »
It's interesting how you lifted your left foot off the floor as you missed the rep... I wonder if you were loading up more on your left leg or something.

2246
That's probably because of melatonin.

2248
Wow, what crazy times... 6AM for sprints? That's insane for my lifestyle.

I do strength training at 22 o'clock, up to 23:30 or so, because at that time the gym is emptier and I don't have to split my time with 30 people in a small gym.

2250
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Reverse transfer effect of training
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Well, I was thinking some time back to write a thread about "why is everybody against explosive lifts with a small % of your 1RM for strength gains"? This is similar.

My thing is that what do you do when you lift heavy? You increase the neural recruitment and you subject the muscle fibers to high tensions and high times under tension. That's all you do.

But can't you do the same thing lifting a lower weight at a higher speed? You would still get a lot of recruitment and you would still subject the muscle fibers to high tensions. The only difference would be that in order to get the same total amount of time under tension you'd have to do more reps which would probably burn out your CNS or cause overuse injuries.

But assuming you can handle that kind of stress, I can't find anything to prevent someone of gaining "strength" and muscle mass doing lightweight stuff at high speeds. Any ideas?

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 502