Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Raptor

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 502
2371
There are two obvious issues for me:

1) The lack of dorsiflexion. You plant in a plantar flexed foot position. That leads us to number 2
2) The lack of dorsiflexion translates itself in the collapse of the knee. If you play it frame by frame you can see that you plant, go down further and then jump. It's basically a standing vertical jump with "momentum". You don't want that. You want only concentric movement after the plant.

This has been a culprit of mine for years. I have the tendency when I jump off two to go further down as I plant, but in reality you need to plant as low as you need from the get-go. You must not plant, bend down and then go up. You must plant and go up.

What that does is two things:

1) Keeps the GCT low (since you eliminate the eccentric phase);
2) Forces a rapid and powerful stretch control in the plant. Preventing the eccentric collapse recruits a ton of muscle and generates a ton of power in a CONCENTRIC manner.

If you're unable to do this from that box then maybe you should try a box that allows you to do this.

Viewing all this I have a feeling you'd be terrible if you'd try consecutive jumps to the backboard or consecutive hurdle jumps. If you have access to hurdles then that should be a priority for you. Why? Because if you try to plantar flex when you do consecutive hurdle jumps you won't be able to do them. They teach you to maintain foot dorsiflexion.

If you take all these things into account... to me it sounds like you're biomechanically missing in on a lot of potential VJ inches you have in you already. You just need to correct these things (me too, I have the same issues).

2373
At least I like the song in the background of the pistols.

But yeah, obviously, that additional weight keeps you on balance.

I think in the RDLs, instead, there was some back unlocking going on at 0:28-0:29

2374
Pics, Videos, & Links / Belt position
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:31:29 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smRiVWKPng" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smRiVWKPng</a>

What do you think about this?

2375
400m Sprinting or Shorter / Re: 100m or 400m???
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:13:27 am »
It's probably 400 m.

2376
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Vertical Jump Work 5 days a week?
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:42:43 am »
So after you totally hammer the legs with strength training you plan to go on the next day and do intensive plyos? Good luck.

2377
Haha yeah, at least he can do it on both feet. The dorsiflexion difference between my left and right foot is incredible... it's impossible to do pistol squats on the right leg.

2378
Actually, the LACK of dorsiflexion is what I see. He bends his lowerback quite a bit and that's a sign of the lack of dorsiflexion.

I have better form:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIrS7MsHqw4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIrS7MsHqw4</a>

:D

2379
Pics, Videos, & Links / Re: beast
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:44:29 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ6jbbl0_CU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ6jbbl0_CU</a>

2380
Pics, Videos, & Links / Re: funny / horrible training videos
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:21 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBD047U-TnQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBD047U-TnQ</a>

2381
Is it this exercise:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwbT7EQvUo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwbT7EQvUo</a>

or

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrawCNDtfdM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrawCNDtfdM</a>

2382
Basketball / Re: A WHOLE BUNCH OF DUNKS AND SHIT.
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:04:54 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW_6RbreKsk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW_6RbreKsk</a>

 :ibjumping:

2383
Quote
disagreed. I think the emphasis should be on the speed of the exercise rather than what muscles are involved. Heavy deadlifts will have a negligible effect on his vertical jump - my hypothesis. However, reverse depth jumps (landing backwards requires more from the hip), top speed sprinting or longer sprints, single legged jumping, will help more.

I actually think that's a good idea.

He might even eliminate all the full squats from his workout and focus on the half squat and that coupling phase. Maybe do some complex training - explosive half squat + jump squat, depth jump + SVJ.

And the backwards depth drops/jumps are also a good idea. To me, when I did stepups I had the craziest calf soreness ever. Why? Because I had to put my leg back backwards on the ground to do my next rep in the stepups. And just that alone gave me huge calf soreness that I never ever get from the calf raises. So imagine what the backwards depth jumps can do for the calves.

Another thing that we omit is the fact that the running 2-leg jump is a different event than a depth jump. It has a lower center of gravity, the plant is more forward/at a different angle etc. There's a different type of loading that occurs, at least from a specificity standpoint.

So this is especially (maybe the MOST) important for him (and possibly for myself as well):

Quote
LBSS needs to lower his COM/hips during the penultimate step of the DLRVJ much more than he is now to reduce braking forces in the knee, and well, to jump higher. Learning to DLRVJ properly is the most important thing for him right now, more important than depth jumps, pogos, or any other plyo.

Favoring explosive exercises in the weight room such as jump squats may help a little with improving DLRVJ form, or even just 1/2 squats. They will help with "expressing" strength and improving RFD.  I wouldn't recommend box squats however, the amortization needs to be trained with weights.

2384
Basketball / Re: A WHOLE BUNCH OF DUNKS AND SHIT.
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:34:29 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viB6rGUhEIM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viB6rGUhEIM</a>

2385
Anybody else thinks the last jump on the video is even higher? It is wrist-at-rim level but with a serious hand angle. That's a typical RVJ PR situation too, overextending trying to catch a bad lob.
Keep it u scoob, awesome stuff lately!!!

The head to net position looks about the same.

Nice job scooby. I'd say with 3-4 more inches that'll be a slam, head should be closer to the middle of the net by then.

Forget 3-4. Give him 2 and a good synchronization with the ball.

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 502