The Weis and the other dunk did look a lot different.
If I plant RL, i thought rotating towards the right (clockwise), would make more sense, but in these examples, the jumpers rotate the opposite way of the plant leg. Kind of like doing a 1,2 punch combo in boxing, you rotate one way (the coil), then uncoil with the 2.
Huh? You mean in a RL plant he actually rotates counterclockwise? You realize that's impossible don't you?
With my back injury, what do you guys suggest I should limit myself on? I have no idea if it's a spine problem (it appears it is) or a muscle one, but still - I have to stop squatting and deadlifting AT LEAST for a while.
Would dumbbell BSSs be cool? Or would that be too much of a load if it's a disc problem in the spine? What about bodyweight pistol squats? King deadlifts? Calf raises? What about jumping in itself?
So you see - I have multiple things to worry about. What about upperbody stuff like overhead presses? These will put pressure on the spine as well. What about dumbbell raises for the shoulders? And so on and so forth. What should I limit myself to? How about planks?
Well age for one. Secondly, bad nutrition (he doesn't give too much attention to nutrition from his current bodyfat%). And thirdly, Vince was never (with the exception of his youth (up to 26 years old)) a strength gym guy. He used to train with an NFL friend in 2000, I guess that explained a lot at that time.
He worked with the Magic trainers this past year to get his SVJ up to 31 inches, and squatted and did lunges (no idea of the weights used).
Also, with the bone/cartilage degeneration and injuries and age, you get "less playful" and jump less than in the past which diminishes your reactive/elastic abilities.
There's plenty of rotation at 0:26 in the Weis dunk.
In the Zo dunk there's not that much, but he didn't jump as high either (not head to rim by any means).
What is definitely certain is that having more strength allows you to use a deeper bend and load at much higher velocities/depths than not having as much strength (since strength is what Vince lost while getting old). Not sure about anything else.
He basically bended at the knees, pretty much no hip bend, no rotation on the plant, no low center of gravity for proper "loading", no nothing.
I'm not disputing age, I don't care about age - what I care about is how an individual that had a certain plant style in the past didn't have that plant style here^^^
He did plant like in the old days (though not as low) in here:
I love how he plants that right leg and rotates on it, "throwing" his left leg into the ground. Whenever I did that in real life I definitely got higher. I load much better doing that than with a "linear" approach.
There's a lot of rotation in his plant there. As I observed Vince his entire career, the difference in now vs. back in the day in terms of his plant is his lack of rotation, more quad involvement and less PC, and high center of gravity in his plants now (and lower jumps).
He answered my tweet. Apparently he can full squat 170 kg at 60 kg bodyweight. I mean wtf?
EDIT: He meant lbs, which is 80 kg full squat and he probably meant 160 lbs bodyweight. Also, 188 lbs half squat. Imagine if he would get stronger to realize what his real ceiling is. Sotomayor was heavier but he was doing 160 kg snatches and had a 3x+ half squat.