10321
Article & Video Discussion / Re: My second favorite lift, and possibly the best exercise for vertical jump
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »
Whoa, whoa, settle down there tiger. Let's not take this down to ad hominems. This is the internet, there are rules. First, no one was debasing YOU, we were just calling out the ridiculous EXERCISE that you posted a video of yourself doing. Second, it's probably bad for you even with perfect form and it's definitely bad for you with the herky-jerky motion you use even while standing still, let alone while running up. Go watch a video of someone doing a sumo dead lift properly. Maybe this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r--etdWUmc0. You will notice that the dude sets, gets all the tension out of his arms and shoulders, and pulls smoothly off the ground. What you do is grab the bar and jerk upwards. Even your head jerks around. Sure, you might be getting stronger, but like Adam. said, the toll on your joints will catch up with you no matter how "clean" you eat.
Third, why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Why not stick to what has worked for countless people for decades before you go out and try to come up with shit on your own?
Fourth, joint health or lack thereof is linked to diet at some level but it's also linked to trauma, particularly of the chronic variety. Just ask me, I'm 23 and have arthritis in my left big toe thanks to 6 years of fencing with improper form when I was in middle and high school. All the clean eating in the world would not have saved me. Check out the abstracts adarq posted. Or ask pitchers whose elbows and shoulders fall apart, or basketball players or offensive linemen who can barely walk because their knees are in crippling pain. Those are all extreme examples but I hope you see the point. Plenty of pro athletes have fantastic diets that they stick to like lunatics (because most pro athletes ARE lunatics at some level). Doesn't save their joints.
For more on "clean" eating, please see Alan Aragon (alanaragon.com). Or Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com). I used to believe in the "clean," "Paleo" BS. Even tried eating "Paleo" once upon a time. Thank god I got that over with.
Sigh, I can't even really keep hating from behind this here computer screen. The urge to help is too strong. Whether you think I'm being a condescending douche or listen to what I'm saying, or both, is up to you. You gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck.
Third, why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Why not stick to what has worked for countless people for decades before you go out and try to come up with shit on your own?
Fourth, joint health or lack thereof is linked to diet at some level but it's also linked to trauma, particularly of the chronic variety. Just ask me, I'm 23 and have arthritis in my left big toe thanks to 6 years of fencing with improper form when I was in middle and high school. All the clean eating in the world would not have saved me. Check out the abstracts adarq posted. Or ask pitchers whose elbows and shoulders fall apart, or basketball players or offensive linemen who can barely walk because their knees are in crippling pain. Those are all extreme examples but I hope you see the point. Plenty of pro athletes have fantastic diets that they stick to like lunatics (because most pro athletes ARE lunatics at some level). Doesn't save their joints.
For more on "clean" eating, please see Alan Aragon (alanaragon.com). Or Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com). I used to believe in the "clean," "Paleo" BS. Even tried eating "Paleo" once upon a time. Thank god I got that over with.
Sigh, I can't even really keep hating from behind this here computer screen. The urge to help is too strong. Whether you think I'm being a condescending douche or listen to what I'm saying, or both, is up to you. You gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck.
??? 