Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Raptor

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 502
4861
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:20 am »
Yeah we've had this conversation some time ago and it will keep on getting back and back into these boards because frankly, it's pretty interesting to discuss. But the bottom line is what vag said.

4862
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Kingfush
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:20 am »
I mean jumping 45 SVJ without Photoshop or pulling on the rim and letting go before taking the picture.

no way, is that what squatdr did? why hasn't anyone talked about that on this forum before? someone should do a detailed breakdown of why the photo is fake or something.

Nice sarcasm.^^^ :highfive:

4863
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Kingfush
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »
I mean jumping 45 SVJ without Photoshop or pulling on the rim and letting go before taking the picture.

4864
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:23 pm »
Yeah I agree. So wouldn't Kingfish be in a better position going with low bar squats?

4865
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:41 pm »
I sorta think there is no such thing as quad dominant people.... just people with weak hamstrings and glutes.  It seems a strange solution to switch to a movement where the quads can hardly be used to remedy weak hamstrings.   Why not just train the hamstrings in knee flexion and hip extension and get them doing the movement well?

I think you have a very solid argument here ^^^, especially if you couple this with tight hip flexors/dormant glutes.

And to answer your question - since I can't do high bar squats and do low bar squats and deadlifts instead, yeah, I'm missing SOME quad activity from my training. But like Lance said, "I'm sure moving the bar 1 inch lower on your back will completely deactivate your quads and they will get weak and small". The point is - the quads still get stimulation from the low bar squats. Especially as I'm a quad dominant guy by nature so... I kind of always call on my quads when doing stuff.

My problem is that I was never able, after years of training, to build my VMOs... and I want HUGE VMOs.

4866
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Kingfush
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »
And I think you have a good plan and you're on a good road to be honest. Sure, I hate you not doing running jumps (and seeing how MAXIMALLY high you can get (since you're going to get a few additional inches off that added momentum/leg eccentric potentiation) but as far as your current goals are concerned, you might be able to pull a Squat DR picture soon without Photoshop.

If you know what I mean... :ninja: :wowthatwasnutswtf:

4867
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: Kingfush
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
Will you continue to increase your squat (focus on this)? Where do you want to stop at relatively? Have you considered going into 200 lbs bodyweight territory to increase your squat towards ~3x?

4868
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »
Yes but in order to extend the knee and straighten back your leg you're going to flex the quad to do it. That's the thing.

Your body, especially in untrained people, will tend to (over)use your quads in everything it does when it comes to leg training. At least in my own experience and what I have observed in people that I have trained. The beginners will always have a bad time calling on the glutes and will always exaggerately bend at the knees when doing squats/deadlifts etc. Sure, one thing is that they have too narrow of a stance initially which is causing this but that's not the issue here.

As an example, when I deadlifted the first time ever years ago, I couldn't even understand the concept of lowering the hips back and keeping the knees stationary (not letting them go forward/down). So when I was deadlifting I was "squatting" down with my knees going forward/down and hips pretty much not doing anything. It was EXTREMELY ugly to see... it was something like a bilateral peterson step-up/sissy squat as far as movement goes.

This same thing will cause knee injuries over time if not immediately and knee "overuse" injuries. Plus the knees going forward takes away tension off the hamstrings so you're missing out on the power of the hamstrings as assistance for the glutes in the extension/hyperextension of the hips. So it does a handful of bad things for you (this quad dominance).

4869
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:07:26 pm »
Well yeah if you think about it you're going to have different squat styles individually, depending on structure, muscle strength (which generates the body's preference to use more or less different muscles etc) and other factors, but a high bar squat will have more potential to determine a more quad-oriented squat than a low bar squat GENERALLY (regardless of structure).

So obviously you can force a more hip oriented jump squat with a high bar position placement but you're going to have to compensate with your back angle etc so it's going to mess things up a bit.

4870
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »
Well quad dominance is how much load an exercise TENDS to make your body use as far as the quads are concerned.

I do not understand this sentence. Can you explain this? I suppose quad dominance is not the same as potential knee flexion in an exercise?

Yeah, I think you can say that. At least in my version of the definition. So for me personally, that's pretty much the same - the potential of knee flexion and quad loading of a given exercise. Of course it's more a matter of that knee flexion/quad loading actually occuring than the potential of that since that's what we really care about.

4871
Yeah I know what you mean but I've always had a blonde like that next to me. :ninja:

4872
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »
Well quad dominance is how much load an exercise TENDS to make your body use as far as the quads are concerned. A high bar squat has the potential to make you use more knee bend/knee going forward than a low bar squat has (also depending on your structure) and will make you kind of "wanting to use the quads/go with knees forward" more. That's my understanding of quad dominance.

You can also feel it in the amount of overload happening in your quads as you perform that exercise.

4873
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:44 pm »
Right^^^

I've seen increases as much as ~50 cm total in my 3 consecutive 2-leg bounds after doing heavy hang powersnatches.

Without doing the hang powersnatches I was jumping ~7.80m and after doing heavy (for me that was 45-50 kg) hang powersnatches I set a new PR with 8.40m and IT REALLY FELT different as far as movement was concerned (like I was feeling I was jumping more "correctly", with more power coming from the hips/hips moving back to initiate the jumps vs power coming from the quads/knees going forward to load the quads to initiate the movement).

4874
Masturbate more often, increase deadlift grip. Easy.

Not that I ever did that, I heard it from friends...

 :ninja:

4875
Article & Video Discussion / Re: Hang Snatch Alternative
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »
What about back squatting or a more posterior chain dominant exercise like low bar back squats or deadlifts?

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 502